Thursday, June 25, 2009

Youtube Reviews, Srsly?

I realize that the novelty of Youtube has by and large worn off for most people, and that's a good thing. For about a two year span there was this big deal about being a talking head on Youtube. If you owned a camera and had an opinion about something -- anything, YT welcomed you with open arms to sit there and "umm" and "ooh" at the camera while trying to "inform" or "entertain". This got staggeringly idiotic pretty quickly. (Though this still wasn't as bad as every AMV or "COVER, FULL VERSION!" shitty attempt at playing guitar that exist on there to this day) This "punditism" still exists now across a myriad of subjects that there are TONS of "experts" at, though they're not as popular as they were when Youtube was still in its heyday 3 or 4 years ago.

I really don't mean to come off as an elitist, because there are I'm sure, thousands of people that know more than me and get aggravated when I don't know what "Mac app X" is or how to code in "Programming Lang. Y", but when the entirety of thumbnails of results of any given search consists of a crowd of soulless faces jabbering about nonsense it gets grating. Yeah, it's great that your 14 year old is a computer expert, but that doesn't mean I want to watch his stupid ass on Youtube talking about games and movies. Now that isn't to say I don't like people reviewing things, hearing feedback from others is great sometimes, especially when you have sites like Gamepro being paid for their views on things. But I want to READ these reviews. This works two-fold: 1) I don't have to sit through 10 minutes of truly unintelligent tard-speak & wade through several of these videos to get to one with rhetoric of that above a fur-covered cyst and 2) If someone is intelligent enough to write something cohesively and I'm reading it, I know in about 2 seconds whether or not I'm wasting my time via red flags like "wut", "r" & "roflcopter".

If I'm reading an article on history or architecture or medical heuristics I can be kinda sure if someone has enough knowledge subjects like these and also bothered to write an article, that I'm not really wasting my time reading it. Conversely, entertainment is pretty much universally accessible, and opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. Therefore, pretty much anyone that can turn on a computer can "review" things now. And it certainly seems to be that way.

1 comment :

LEon said...

Nice entry you have there. I agree with you about video review. I dun have the patient too to watch thru a toy review. Most of the time, it is boring. Plus it wasting bandwidth. I hardly watch MV on youtube too as the quality sux.

napaJapan - candy, bento and more!