Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Japan Snack Attack!

The colors! Oh, the colors!

I'm a total whore for J-packaging, especially food packaging (it always seems to be the most interesting) and I normally keep it unless it's really boring. I find that Japanese Kit Kat packages are amongst the most well-designed. Truth be known, they're all pretty good, though the quintessentially Japanese azuki and mochi flavors ironically tasted like regular chocolate Kit Kats (though the azuki ones' texture was awesome). I have a serious weakness for vanilla, so I love the vanilla beans ones. The Macchiato McFlurry ones that used "1.0% real coffee" and the Yukimi Sakura ones that use "1.5% real sakura leaf (sakuranbo)" are excellent, too. I just read the sakura flavor's package again the other day and discovered the 1.5% sakura thing, when I ate them they kinda tasted like banana flavoring (i.e. - artificial) blended with coconut flavoring or something. But hands down, I'd have to say that the Daigaku Imo/Sweet Potato ones were my favorite. I adore sweet potatoes in their vegetable form, so naturally these were like chocolate kryptonite to me when I got them. I usually share when I get something that I'm unlikely to run across again after their initial run (which seems to be just about every snack in Japan), but these were all mine. =)

4 comments :

Argyle Bolivar said...

w00t that kit-kat packaging is EPIC WIN!!! =3

Takara said...

I know! OM NOM NOM! =D

Unknown said...

They don't sell anything like that here in north Tx. Only regular flavor, chocolate. You've got a smorgusborg of flavors on your board...jealous...bows Are those cell phone charms you have on the border? As was said before EPIC :)

Takara said...

@Leo Heh, thanks. Actually most of what's on the board is from J-List, only one Kit Kat wasn't (the lower green tea one), and that was brought back directly from Japan by my cousin. ^^ Yeah there are a few Hello Kitty X Space Invaders keychains/charms, Bleach, Dragon Quest, Mario and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. As for the availability thing, my local Japanese grocer carries mainly "traditional" Japanese foods, which is kind of a bummer. =/

napaJapan - candy, bento and more!